Monday, November 21, 2005

Predator, Great White Shark Hot Sauce

Introducing Great White Shark, Predator Hot Sauce!

Scoville Units: 160,000 (that's 80 times hotter than my previous sauce)
Accomplishments: National Barbeque Association's 2005 Best Hot Sauce Champion.



As with a few hot sauces I've seen, it comes it a relative small bottle (147ml). Kecil-kecil cili padi eh ;) . On the label we have an illustration of a shark rushing out to "take a big bite out of my ass".

Hah! Let's see who has the last bite.

There is also a difficult-to-miss warning. ONE DROP AT A TIME they say. Is it really that hot, or might it just be their ego talking? We'll soon find out...

It spots an impressive list of ingredients. Had I not know what Habanero was, I'd probably mistake this as a recipe for a diet fruit shake.

The bottle opening is fixed with one of those stoppers you get on kicap bottles, to make sure consumers don't get too excited and waste their sauce food by pouring too much.

As with all food, I take a good whiff to anticipate what to expect.

Wow! This is strong shit. I tried really hard to pick up the scent of any of the fruits. Nada. Zilch. The smells says 100% Fire & Pain. The good kind. ;)

To break-in the shark, I heated up the rest of my Hari-hari chicken curry. What else would go well with obscene spiciness if not Curry?

So here's the complete setup. Warm pita bread to soak up all the goodness, and a handy supply of milk for fire-fighting.

One drop at the time, they say... Fine!

The rules of the taste test was simple:

  1. place one full drop of sauce on small piece of pita

  2. mouth it, and chew

  3. DON'T swallow

  4. Wait....


Fun fun fun!!

Results? Well, it started out quite pleasant. Couldn't really taste the fruits, but it was quite flavourful. Not too vinegary, and spicy enough for my liking. I continued chewing, enjoying the tingling sensation that you usually get with spicy food.

Then it started.... *swallow* *swallow* *MILK!!* *MILK!!*

The sauce seems to release it's full flavour when it's slightly diluted. So as I chewed, more saliva got mixed in, and more of the goodness started spreading!!

My tongue felt like it was pulsating for the next minute or so, but when it subsided, I wanted more!

Tried a few drops on the curry to see how well the flavours matched...

.. and it was fabulous. Soon, I was using one drop with every bite. Of course I was sweating and sniffling all the while, but I was loving every minute of it.

My apartment mate walked in while halfway through, and I offered him a taste. He was hopping around within seconds, and I was entertained by his frantic attempts to get his bottle of juice open.

He was not amused when told him of my plans to get something even hotter. I am now known to be officially crazy.

Conclusion: This is a GREAT sauce. Looking forward to try out different recipes with this new ingredient. It will definitely spice up my experimental cooking.

Oh... one more thing. I've learnt a valuable lesson - my mouth is NOT the only part that is in contact with what I eat. My mouth can take the the 15 or so drops I used, by my stomach and my anus can't! Follow the bloody instructions. One drop at a time!

Mr. Shark seems to have had the last bite after all.

Excuse me while I rush to the toilet... again...!

3 Comments:

At November 22, 2005 1:48 am, Blogger Kenny Lee said...

wow...cool sauce you have there.
won't available in KL, rite?

 
At November 22, 2005 9:50 am, Blogger shawnchin said...

Don't think so.

Best spicy ingredient I could find in KL was Mae Pranom Crushed Chilli. It's really spicy, tastes great, and have cruncy dried prawns it in. Worth a try ;)

 
At November 22, 2005 1:18 pm, Blogger shawnchin said...

Heheh.. Sooner or later, I think i will :p

Sometimes i get too over-enthusiastic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home