Saturday, February 11, 2006

AdSense Referral my foot!

[edit]
Google finally revamped the policy and extended the cutoff period to a more realistic 180 days. They have also clearly stated this term in their FAQ. I have since reinstated the Adsense and Firefox referral buttons on my site
[/edit]


Out of nowhere this clause appeared right at the bottom of the Referral page:

* An AdSense referral is counted when a publisher, who has never previously enrolled in AdSense, creates an account and earns at least $100.00 within 90 days of sign-up. The referred publisher must be eligible for payment to qualify as a successful referral.


... new AdSense user... $100 earnings... within 3 months?? Bollocks! Dowan to give don't give lah!! Don't go around giving people false hopes then burst their bubble with your bloody fineprint.

This new clause is not present in the Referral FAQ. Nor was it there when I first registered for it.

No, I'm not pissed. I wasn't expecting much from it in the first place. I just don't like being deceived.

I'm sure they have their reasons, but I can't help but feel cheated.

Bleh..!

page.remove(buttons, ADSENSE_REFERRAL);
self.impression[GOOGLE] -- ;
self.sulk();
life.goesOn();

4 Comments:

At February 11, 2006 6:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it has been updated to 6 months.

 
At February 11, 2006 6:57 pm, Blogger shawnchin said...

Ahh... thanks for the info.

The footnote still says 90 days though.

Google's probably responding to negative feedback by users.

Just the same, it has left a bitter taste in many a mouths, and I bet it'll take a while to go away.

btw, thx for dropping by.

 
At February 12, 2006 7:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's possible to get $100 in 90 days. ;)

 
At February 12, 2006 11:48 am, Blogger shawnchin said...

For an adsense guru, of course it is :)

For someone who doesn't know much about adsense, and register out of curiosity after seeing a referral button on some random site?? Hmmm..

Anyway, I'm not out to judge if it's possible or not. I'm sure with some knowledge and effort, many can. I'm just irked by Google's shady act of blindsiding users by quietly throwing in fineprints.

Had the clause been there when we first signed up, or if Google had been more transparent about it's inclusion, users would not be kicking up a fuss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home