Saturday, May 13, 2006

Exam food, final roundup.

Exams have been over for close to a week now, but I'm still yet to go grocery shopping and do some proper cooking. I guess I've been too busy catching up on sleep, and mourning over my camera :p

Anyway, here's the final listing of what's been sustaining me for the last two weeks. This will probably be my last post with decent photos. Subsequent entries will have to rely on shabby snapshots for my ailing Nokia 6600.




Spicy Chicken Vindaloo, cooked using a commercial spice pack. Just add chicken, oil, tomatoes, onions, water, and lots of chilli ;)

Lasted for a good four meals.

Beef Curry, thanks to Brahims. Another four meals settled.

Attempted Marmite chicken several times, and learnt that I shouldn't stinge on the marmite and honey. The most recent version I made was pretty decent.

Fine beans with mince meat and red pepper, fried with belacan (shrimp paste) and sweet soya sauce. I cooked enough for two meals, but it went so well with steaming hot rice that I cleared it in one sitting :p

And when laziness crept in, I usually resort to microwaving my vege. Just garnish generously with salt and pepper, some butter, and microwave for three minutes.

Makes a good side dish.

Toasted muffins with lettuce, cucumber, beef burger and bacon. Sometimes, I add in a fried egg as well. Beats BurgerKing/McD's anytime!

... and finally.

Countless pasta meals. With all sorts of ingredients (and leftovers) thrown in. This particular one was with beef burger, red pepper, and lots of ground black pepper.


Ok. That's it for exam food. Proper meals coming up soon (I hope..)

10 Comments:

At May 13, 2006 8:59 pm, Blogger boo_licious said...

Oh no! What happened to yr camera? Sorry to hear abt that as I know how painful it is to lose a beloved camera. Never mind, I am sure you will be making yr way home for summer hols soon?

 
At May 14, 2006 2:21 am, Blogger Evelyn said...

Yum yum...food! I like cooking out of instant packs, although I'm trying to graduate to actual cooking from scratch when it comes to these complicated dishes. Problem is, I can't find most of the stuff easily in Melbourne. Sob...good job cooking! :)

 
At May 15, 2006 2:05 am, Blogger Alicia said...

w3lcome back!.. u haven't been posting for quite some time xD.. i haven't try chicken vindaloo b4 :/

 
At May 15, 2006 1:44 pm, Blogger rokh said...

seems like you're eating well even during exams! keep it up ;)

 
At May 15, 2006 3:59 pm, Blogger shawnchin said...

boo: Will be working on my dissertation over the Summer. No hols any time soon :(

evelyn: thanks. it's gonna take a while before I graduate to those complicated dishes. For now, I'm happy with rush job student meals :)

alicia: Been really busy recently. It's good to be back!

rokh: I'm still very Malaysian to the bone. Food #1, other things, worry later. hehehe..

 
At May 16, 2006 3:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wah so good food. better than some of the cafes that we have been to with trained chefs.

Very creative. Your gal must be very lucky. You are definely not a lazee guy type.

eh what do you cook when you don't have exams ?

 
At May 16, 2006 10:36 am, Blogger Unknown said...

The marmite chicken looks very good.

 
At May 17, 2006 6:19 pm, Blogger shawnchin said...

puspha: thanks

emma: What do I cook when there's no exams? err.. come to think of it, just about the same stuff as u see here, but perhaps with the occasional attempts at something more complicated.

 
At May 21, 2006 12:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

shawn, er how to cook marmite chicken. I have half a chic and a bottle of marmite but not sure what to do ?

 
At May 22, 2006 12:13 am, Blogger shawnchin said...

emma: ok. here's what i did.

1. First, cut the chicken into small pieces and pre-fry them. You can simply season it with a little soya sauce and fry in oil, or, if you like it crispy, then coat with float/batter and deep fry.
Drain and put aside.

2. prepared the sauce in a bowl: marmite, honey, dark soya sauce, light soya sauce. Mixed them well, and put aside. (possible extra ingredients: sesame seed oil, chinese cooking wine)

3. Stir fry some big onions and red pepper for about while, then add in the chicken (from step 1) and the bowl of sauce (from step 2). Mix it up till the sauce coats the chicken and the onions. Serve immediately.

.. sound like a lot of work, but it's actually quite a quick dish.

Good luck trying :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home