Thursday, November 06, 2008

Home Made Pasta

Winter is coming to UK - the day gets shorter, the sky is grey, it rains, the weather is cold and windy. All these give me more reason to stay at home. Well, it is not all bad news too. I finally can find time to do some of the food experiments that I have been wanting to do since beginning of summer...

First off the list, home made pasta! This probably due to my recent trip to Italy. The pasta there tastes so good and fresh that it motivates me to learn how to make it. I learnt how to make it from this link:
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-fresh-pasta

The setup:

My laptop was in the background just in case I need to watch the video again.. which I did several occasions.

Rest the dough:

My hand was messy and couldn't take any photo for the kneading process.. it was pretty much like the video.. I hope..

Roll the dough:

This is the hardest part of all. Making a consistent thickness throughout the pasta is not easy with rolling pin. This situation gets worse whenI didn't realise that how big can the dough spread... my dough was bigger than the rolling pin, the marble slab, and I was just half way there. Panic set in and just realised that the guy in the video has a bloody huge table.

The pasta:

After 2 hours of labour, this is what I got. Not 5 stars Michelin rating chef's pasta, but it looks alright for a beginner like me.

The taste:

Cooked one portion of it. Had it with pesto and generous portion of parmesan cheese. The texture of the pasta is alright, not as good as the one I had in Italy - a little bit thicker, and missing the silky smooth texture that I like. The taste of the pasta beats any dried pasta you can find in supermarket, probably it is fresh :)

Is it worth making your own pasta? The answer is yes and don't do it with rolling pin like me. Buy yourself a pasta rolling machine, it will take less than 20 mins to roll it!

9 Comments:

At November 20, 2008 4:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! ita been a while since i know anyone that made their own pasta. i guess we're a bunch of lazy ppl.

i would love to try to make ravioli.i love linguine pesto!

 
At November 20, 2008 10:48 am, Blogger BengChuan said...

It is quite a tiring task making the pasta using the pin roll. I am tempting to buy a pasta machine.. it will churn out pasta within 20 mins!

Ravioli.. hmmm.. probably the next project once I have the pasta machine.

 
At November 20, 2008 2:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea, i guess the pin roll's not only small but requires a lot of energy as well. n the pasta machine sounds temptin. is the same kinda machine where they use for "la mien"?

oh yea, ravioli needs to be flatten as well. unless i can get my bro to roll the dough, which i dont think is happenin

 
At November 20, 2008 11:40 pm, Blogger BengChuan said...

I think the one they use for "la mien" is identical to the pasta machine.

It takes too much effort to roll it with rolling pin. Buying the machine will be a good choice if you plan to have many pasta dishes in future. Beside, you can use it for pan lee.

 
At November 21, 2008 2:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh? perhaps its the same one where they roll their own lasangne sheets?

talk bout pan mee, ive not had any nice one. the one in penang's jst so so , the best avail here. i heard from a friend, KL has got one really famous one.

yea, u're right, no point gettin on unless i wanna have more pasta dishes. i dont cook pasta jst as much as i used to anymore. my mom n granny's not a big fan of pasta so its pretty hard unless i do it the oriental style, fried spaghetti or somethin.

 
At November 21, 2008 11:06 am, Blogger BengChuan said...

yupe I guess it is similiar to lasagna.

pan mee.. hmmm.. I haven't had it for a while. Ask your friend where is this famous shop.. I will go there when I go back to malaysia.

stir fry spaghetti is quite nice. I like the "bounciness" of spaghetti when it is being eaten.

 
At November 21, 2008 5:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sure! i'll ask my friend for the location. hopefully she knows where it is. she was previously studyin in KL and now she's back in pg n to be honest ,she's not very good wth location/place/road names.

ive had this fried spaghetti once man! it was so oily! it makes the whole plate of spaghetti gross

 
At November 22, 2008 11:26 am, Blogger BengChuan said...

probably the name of the shop and the area. that should be enough to pinpoint the location kuar.

hmm.. I did it the last time and it was alright ( It was not that oily). Probably I will try it again and see.

 
At November 22, 2008 1:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

home cook stuff's always the best. whereas hawker jst want things to look nice n thus more oil added. bein in so called food heaven, i hardly eat out..char koay teow for example, i havent had char koay teow for god knows how long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home