Friday, February 24, 2006

I am invincible

The 'Suah-Koo'* in me speaks:

I was about to get off the bus when it started raining heavily. Since I was running late, I got off anyway.

As I was rushing like crazy towards shelter, I suddenly paused. To my utmost delight, I realised that raindrops were bouncing off me like how bullets react to superman. Wow! My coat really IS waterproof.

... and then, Jakun fever ended, and I realised it wasn't rain after all.

It was hail, sleet, or whatever it is that makes frozen water fall like raindrops and make you feel bloody kebal.

(up next, food post -- Sampan Kebab)



* Definition by The Coxford Singlish Dictionary:
SUAH KOO
(swah-koo)
A Hokkien term which literally translates as “mountain tortoise”. Used to describe or suggest someone as being unsophisticated and ignorant. The Singlish equivalent of a “country bumpkin” or a “hick”.
“You donno how to use a microwave oven? Why you so suah koo one?”

2 Comments:

At February 26, 2006 1:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:D hahahaha...i learn a new word today. suah koo! i'll start using it on my friends soon.

 
At February 27, 2006 1:26 am, Blogger shawnchin said...

I oso learnt something new.

I usually use the word "jakun" to mean the same thing as suah koo. Didn't realised it was actually a real race. orang asli. hehhe..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakun

They even have thier own language registered with the code "jak" under the ISO 639-3 language code standards

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=jak

Same goes for "sakai" i would presume :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home