Tuesday, April 04, 2006

First Words

I was sitting in the ER waiting room, when I saw this book in a basket full of children toys.

Usborne First Words - People.

Now, kiddie books aren't usually my cup of tea, but this one somehow stuck at my curiosity cord (condolences to the cat).

I must say, it was one of the most entertaining books I've picked up in a while. Couldn't stop laughing. The astronaut looked like a guy in a straight jacket escaping from the looney bin with a crash helmet in hand. The vet was holding a syringe, strangling a cat, and had a big cheeky smile on his face. The mermaid looked like a blonde cheerleeder with deformed legs and .. wait.. is a mermaid even a person??

Of course, this page took the cake!

Teacher, dentist, vet, doctor, ...

... SEXISM!

Yeah, the book was filled will occupational gender-stereotypes. Brainwashing kids and their gullible minds. Tsk Tsk.

I immediately pictured a dumbfounded parent thinking of something smart to say when his/her child comes up with the book and asks "Mommy/Daddy, what's this??".

I quickly scanned the room. Drats. No young restless kid in sight. There goes my plan of strategically planting the book nearby.

p.s. by the way, about the ER room. No, I did not poison myself with some experimental ingredient. A friend sprained an ankle while attempting a flying smash during our weekly badminton game.

5 Comments:

At April 04, 2006 4:59 am, Blogger ILOVE said...

As expected from the King of Cheekiness :p

 
At April 04, 2006 10:32 am, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

hehehehehe!

 
At April 04, 2006 8:26 pm, Blogger Heike said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At April 05, 2006 1:42 am, Blogger Heike said...

well, as you might expect, I can't ignore this cheeky statement about my badminton performance. At least, we were on the right path to win the match .. (can't remember .. were we)? But on the other side .. we had never ever gotten the chance to "read" such an entertaining book :D
Thanks once more for spending hours in the ER waiting room!

 
At April 06, 2006 11:20 am, Blogger shawnchin said...

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home