Sunday, March 19, 2006

The Last Supper

If you're wondering why nothing has come out from my kitchen in a while, it's because I've been in Solitary Confinement mode for a week now.

Now, rewind time by one week.

Just before I started, I knew I would be eating pasta and roti and fried rice and pasta for quite a while, so I decided to give myself a treat. A proper, satisfying meal to kick off a week of mind bending labour.

Here's what I had.

Char Siew with some Hainanese Chicken Rice's rice.

This time, the char siew was properly made. Got the pre-packed mix, soaked the right cuts in it for 3 hours, and grilled to perfection. Yes, with the sweet crunchy crust and all. :)

A good meal must always be a balanced meal. This quick Pak Choi dish fit the bill just nice.

The whole setup! The bowl of soup in the background was some left over Spicy Sardine Soup.

11 Comments:

At March 20, 2006 12:47 am, Blogger Alicia said...

the meal looks good and delicious.. u cook the meat urself? xD

 
At March 20, 2006 1:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy! I haven't had char siew for a long time. You made me wanna eat char siew!!

 
At March 20, 2006 1:36 am, Blogger shawnchin said...

alicia: yeah, self cooked. Very happy with it :)

sunny: char siew is da bomb!! can't imagine life without it. hehehe..

 
At March 20, 2006 6:54 am, Blogger Cheng Sim said...

hmmm. char siew and chicken rice? thats NOT a bad combination. should try them some time. thanks for the idea!

 
At March 20, 2006 12:52 pm, Blogger shawnchin said...

cheng sim: you're very welcome. :)

 
At March 21, 2006 10:50 am, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

wow ! u r good dude...better than me...try the chilli sauce recipe i posted

 
At March 21, 2006 1:13 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I wan Char Siew!~! Looks so good with the combination of fat and lean meat..

 
At March 21, 2006 5:05 pm, Blogger shawnchin said...

foodcrazee: the chilli sauce looks amazing. Too bad I don't have a food processor, or a mortal & pestle. Will definitely try it some day, when I'm better equipped.

kpcg: yeah. Char Siew is just not char siew if it doesn't have the right balance of fat and meat.

 
At March 21, 2006 8:59 pm, Blogger boo_licious said...

Wah! Char siu looks goooood!

 
At March 21, 2006 9:03 pm, Blogger shawnchin said...

boo: for once, it tasted as good as it looks. Hehhee..

 
At April 03, 2006 1:29 am, Blogger shawnchin said...

deliriouslybored: can't remember the brand, but it came in a powdered form. Have to dilute in water before soaking.
The Lee Kum Kee char siew sauce is nice for roasting chicken/pork/lamb, but it doesn't end up like actual char siew. I used it quite often in my past dishes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home