Sunday, June 17, 2007

Bagel with salted beef

Few weeks ago, I tasted this bagel in a Jewish bakery shop at Brick Lane, London. It tasted so good that I was craving for it when I got back to Cambridge. Since I can only get it from London, and decided to cook it myself. So here it is:

British beef, the one that is free of mad cow disease:


Covered it with sea salt..keep it for days (ideally 6 days) in the fridge:


This is how it looks like after 2 days.. and I couldn't wait any longer. It looked a bit unappeatizing at this time:


Simmer it with garlic and black pepper:


After one hour of cooking, and the meat looks better:



Cut the meat into slices and serve with bagels, mustard and pickles:



Note:
It is not as good as the one in the bakery shop, but it is the closest that I can get. It does taste similiar though.

The meat needs to be boiled a long hour (3-4 hours) for it to be soft and moist. But I couldn't wait, so I had to settle with a slightly chewy meat.

I don't have food poisoning the next day too :) . I guess the salt kills all the harmful bacterias.

Labels:


5 Comments:

At June 28, 2007 2:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that bricklane bagel shop!! the bagels are really good and cheap too! it's our life saver at the wee hours :p but whatever you order, don't order hot chocolate for the love of god - i made that near-fatal mistake last year, and am still traumatised!!!

 
At June 28, 2007 8:42 am, Blogger BengChuan said...

yupe.. that's the one!! I tried the hot chocolate too.. nothing happened to me and my friend..probably we have stainless steel stomach...

 
At June 28, 2007 7:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm. perhaps i'm js being too anal about my hot chocolate :P (no there wasn't any worms or any sort, it js tasted weird.)

 
At June 28, 2007 8:06 pm, Blogger shawnchin said...

For really good hot chocolate, check out Cafe Vergnano (62 Charing Cross Road, London).

If u ask not to put milk, it will be so kao... spoon oso can stand up!

They server great coffee too.

 
At June 28, 2007 11:50 pm, Blogger BengChuan said...

the hot chocolate did taste funny.. It was watery and didn't taste like hot chocolate... I thought you were having massive diarrea or something :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home