Sunday, May 27, 2007

Coke Chicken

A reader in the blog suggested me to cook the chicken in coke, after the Beer Chicken post. I do enjoy drinking coke, but cooking chicken with coke is just a little bit too weird. Will the chicken tastes like coke or chicken? Well, there is only one way to find out...

Marinated half a chicken (instead of whole chicken) with coke. This shows how much confidence I had with the experiment..


I was thinking what else can make coke tastes good.. and what will be better than the classic combination of lemon and coke. So, I put in lots of lemon slices:


Added some salts for the seasoning, and left it for 3 hours. Then, I rubbed the chicken with oil and grilled it for 40 mins (flipped it occasionally to get even cooking for both side of the chicken). Once it is cooked, the chicken was removed. Using the juice left by the chicken, I put in the remaining coke to make the sauce (the sauce making step is similiar to the Beer Chicken recipe). To make the sauce tastes even better, I put in a dash of Malibu and here is the end result:


The coke chicken turned out to be quite good. It tastes like lemon chicken - sweet and sour. The Malibu's coconut fragrance reminds me of Ayam Percik that I used to eat so frequently in Kelantan.

Note:
I was so concerned with how the chicken will turn out that I forgot to take photo of the chicken grilling and sauce making process...thousands apologies.

I searched online and tried to see how others cooked their coke chicken. This guy beats me hand down:


Not sure about the taste, but it surely the most creative way of making coke chicken :)

Labels:


13 Comments:

At May 27, 2007 10:26 am, Blogger Devil's Son said...

nice recepi inside your entires...

so u guys study in that country?

 
At May 28, 2007 9:52 pm, Blogger BengChuan said...

many thanks :)

Two of us studied in uk and are working over here now. Yeng used to work in uk, but is back in Mal.

We just a bunch of guys who love good food, and crazy enough to explore weird recipes (not all the time though).

 
At May 29, 2007 6:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why would anyone in their right mind want to put coke and a chicken in a blender? Might just as well blend a frog...

 
At May 30, 2007 2:32 am, Blogger Tummythoz said...

Never thot I'll come across such recipe! Opens up a whole new range of marinating ingredient with such wide variety of soft drinks in d market. =P

 
At May 30, 2007 9:15 am, Blogger BengChuan said...

wallakazoo: lol.. you can submit your idea to them.

tummythoz: yeah.. pepsi, 100 plus, 7up, fanta.... will try it out sometime :)

 
At May 30, 2007 11:36 am, Blogger Fashionasia said...

haha..glad u take the adventure...
and it turned out looking pretty appetizing!! :>

 
At May 30, 2007 12:47 pm, Blogger BengChuan said...

fashionasia: I was a bit skeptical about the taste, but it turned out to be quite good. Thanks for the tip :)

 
At May 31, 2007 3:11 pm, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

RAZEEomgoodness!

 
At May 31, 2007 9:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my goodness. how can anyone drink that coke chicken!?!?!? my cooking is bad but..that is not edible stuff! *vomits*

 
At June 01, 2007 2:29 am, Blogger Hengster said...

your video a bit scary right..

Chuan, I met Shawn last week. The fella skinny and havge long hair now. You also the same? Since u guys best buddies.

 
At June 01, 2007 9:40 am, Blogger BengChuan said...

foodcrazee/sandy: yeah, it is crazy

heng: not that skinny, but not as fat as I used to be in malaysia. Long hair? yeah.. within 1-2 months time it will be.

 
At June 17, 2007 2:18 pm, Blogger leslie said...

You mentioned that "Using the juice left by the chicken, I put in the remaining coke to make the sauce"... but isn't the juice left by the chicken RAW? Do you later boil it into a gravy before pouring it on top of the cooked chicken?

Anyways, your cooking blog ROCKZ!!!!

 
At June 17, 2007 2:18 pm, Blogger leslie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home