Monday, May 22, 2006

Chocolate Chilly Salmon

One, two, three, four, five
Once I caught a fish alive
Six, seven, eight, nine, ten
Then I let him go again

"Why did you let him go?"
"Because it bit my finger so"
"Which finger did it bite?"
"This little finger on the right"

That damn kiddie song has been playing in my mind for the last two days! It's driving me crazy... grrrr!!

OK, so I have been having fish for dinner two days straight, salmon to be exact, but why the song???!!



For the first fish dish, I was feeling kinda brain dead so I stuck with the good ol' cannot-fail-one Pan Grilled Salmon.

Prepared a simple salad as a side dish: some Rocket salad, Plum tomatoes (wanted Cherry tomatoes, but couldn't get any), Olive oil, crumbled feta cheese, and ground pepper.

Next, pan fried the salmon: seasoned with salt and black pepper. Oil on the fish, not on the pan,.. placed the fish on the pan presentation side down first. Ideally, it should only be turned only once, so timing and heat control are important.

Served with some Hollandaise sauce (can get it in packet form. Just cook with milk and butter).




Preparation of the next dish was when things took an interesting turn.

Note to self: when talking to self, "why not?" is a dangerous response.

It started off in a normal fashion - my mind was still confounded by work, and so I let my subconscious take over the cooking.

"Ahh... fish! It needs a boat!"
"wait... fishes don't go on boats"
"Aiya.. don't care lah. Ready liao."

The foil was lined with olive oil just in case the salmon decided bond itself to it.

Seasoned the salmon with some sesame seed oil, salt, and fresh ground pepper.

"Take photo first. OK, set! Over preheated liao. In you go fishie..."
"wait.. too plain lah! Paiseh to put on blog."

(btw, yes, I do talk to myself like that, especially when I'm short of sleep or high on caffein :p)

"hmmm... add some onions/garlic?"
"Why not? and some italian herbs too"



"Yup. look better now. OK, into the oven!"

... and this was when sanity left the building.

"Wait! Let's put some honey!"
"sure, why not"

"eii.. I think I put too much. Need to balance out the sweetness."
"Make it creamier?"
"Mayonaise?"
"why not?"

"Still looks a little plain lah"
"Some fine beans, for colour?"
"ok"
"Crushed chilli?"
"yes!"

"err.. heheheh... chocolate????"
"Why Not?!"


Into the oven for 35 minutes, and Chocolate Chilly Salmon was born :)



I expected it to taste funny, but it surprisingly didn't. The honey and chilly complemented the salmon very well, while the mild flavour and bitterness of the chocolate only came up in the after-taste.

Yes, I liked it. Will probably try it again in the future.

"perhaps with some beer and tomatoes?"
"sure, why not?"

12 Comments:

At May 23, 2006 3:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sell ur new recipe to Jamie Oliver. hahaha...make a fortune! :p

 
At May 23, 2006 4:38 am, Blogger ILOVE said...

Try with heavenly humus next.. :p

 
At May 23, 2006 6:52 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Man! You are adventorous! Haha..DO u have imaginery friends? I used to have three when I was young..

 
At May 23, 2006 7:43 am, Blogger rokh said...

wow, you're really culinary-creative. ;)

 
At May 23, 2006 8:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and i thought i was the only one who talked to myself!

 
At May 23, 2006 9:26 pm, Blogger boo_licious said...

hee hee, shawn is back in the kitchen! I actually have some savoury choc recipes but it looks like you have whipped up a great one. Btw, the salad looks good esp with all the cherry tomatoes.

 
At May 24, 2006 2:38 am, Blogger Fashionasia said...

i like that u're innovative enough to use chocolate for ur dishes!! try ice cream next!!!

 
At May 24, 2006 7:17 am, Blogger Tummythoz said...

Ha-ha. My talking to self habit definitely needs more practice.

 
At May 24, 2006 2:03 pm, Blogger ngyahloon said...

Why is he's likes us, precious? Gollum, gollum!

 
At May 26, 2006 5:18 am, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

yummy ! Hello dude...cooked ur own hollandaise..its easy.

 
At May 26, 2006 9:50 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Wah!!!! yummy!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At May 28, 2006 8:31 pm, Blogger shawnchin said...

sunny: Too late to sell. Already put online for everyone to steal. Heheh..

shirley: Looks easy. Will try when I have a blender next time.

kbcg: I never had imaginary friends, but I used to play imaginary roles - I would see someone and in my mind I'd imagine thinking what the person was thinking. Somehow, those made-up thoughts magically coincides with the persons actions and reactions. For a while, I was convinced I could read minds. :)

rokh: thanks :)

hodgie: I even tell myself silly jokes and laugh out loud. The last time this happened, I was walking along the street, and old lady by the bus stop was not amused. She gave me that crazy-chinaman-go-home look.

boo: Shawn will be in and out of the kichen for the next few months. I was misled when I thought that the post-exam season would be more relaxing. BTW, would love to try any cooking-with-choc recipes that you have. I have lots of choc powder but not much inspiration left.

tummythoz: practise is easy when your sparring partner is always around ;)

ngyahloon: hehe.. was half expecting that. Not surprised that it came from u :p

mark: we did receive some emails from the university that it might affect us, but fortunately, it didn't.

foodcrazee: Looked it up on Google. You're right, it is quite easy. Might try some day :)

pushpa: Coming for you, I take that as a GREAT compliment!! thanks :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home