Sunday, May 28, 2006

Marmite Mania

I've never really been a fan or marmite. I would never have bought it if not for Chuan's incessant claim that it's a good addon ingredient for Bak Kut Teh (he was right, btw), and I still wouldn't eat it as a spread for bread.

(though the fact that it's a by-product of the beer brewing process does it make sound more appealing)

I have, however, grown quite fond of it as a cooking ingredient. I've used up the small bottle that Chuan bought, and will probably get more the next time I go shopping.

Here are results of recent marmite-laced endeavours.


Marmite beans with Chilly and Bacon


Fried the fine beans with a generous portion of bacon, shallots and chopped chillies. (The beans take a while to cook, so it helps if you pre-cook it in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes).

When almost done, a mixture of marmite, honey, sesame seed oil, and soya sauce is added, mixed well, and served immediately.

Would go really well with rice, but I had some left over fries (chips, as they call it here) to get rid of.


Baked Marmite Chicken

Marinated some thin chicken breasts steaks with:
* Worchestershire sauce
* Marmite
* Oyster sauce
* Soya sauce
* Honey
* Chopped garlic
* Finely sliced chilly
* fresh groud black pepper

Let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours.


They are then placed in a baking tray lined with olive oil. Sprinkled some mediteranean herbs.

(Can't recall adding the chopped shallots, but the picture shows I did. Hehehe)


Into the oven for 35 minutes.

Dinner is served!


It doesn't look too great in the photo, but the chicken actually turn out nice and brown, with caramelised marmite and honey around the edges.

6 Comments:

At May 29, 2006 12:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh.What a nice dinner you serve.

 
At May 29, 2006 6:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok tonite will marinate the pcs pcs with marmite and etc for din din for 3 adults. bake @ 200 for half hour.

 
At May 29, 2006 1:20 pm, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

hmm.....how I wish you are back so i can sample ur food...

 
At May 29, 2006 7:13 pm, Blogger boo_licious said...

oooo, excellent idea to make marmite baked chicken. I must try that as I usually make a sticky marmite sauce for my pan fried chicken instead.

 
At May 30, 2006 4:16 pm, Blogger Jayne said...

Nice Blog =)

I never really was a fan of marmite.. but I might try that Chicken recipe..looks rather tantilizing! :)

P.s: the the honey chilli choc salmon was a really interesting recipe!! XD

 
At June 01, 2006 1:51 am, Blogger shawnchin said...

rabbit: thanks.

sandy: How did it turn out?

foodcrazee: When I do go back, i'll probably be busy out eating all the food that i miss. No time for cooking. hehe.

boo: It was fun trying out the baked version, I still prefer the fried one :p especially if can make the chicken crispy.

shopaholic: thank you :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home