Thursday, June 15, 2006

Never too much rice

Whenever I cook rice, I always cook much more than I need. Mainly because my rice cooker does not handle small portions of rice too well, but also because overnight rice is great for nasi goreng.

Did the same when I made nasi lemak. Lemak rice for frying? why not? (It actually tasted great, especially when fried with eggs)

Rice fried with eggs and broccoli (left over from the salmon chowder), served with home made Char Siew.

Rice fried with beans and pork slices, served with a Bull's Eye (sunny-side-up?).

Other than swapping the broccoli with beans, both the dishes used essentially the same ingredients.

I just realised that the new location of my apartment has altered my cooking a little. Now that the shopping mall is so close, I no longer need to do a week's worth of shopping. Instead, I go more often, and buy enough for just a couple of days.

Points-- : I end up using the same ingredients for a few dishes in a row.
Points-- : I'm spending more on shopping
Points-- : Source of cheap beer is near (temptation!)

Points++ : I use fresher ingredients.
Points++ : I'm more likely to try new ingredients more often.
Points++ : Source of cheap bearBEER is near (satisfaction!)

7 Comments:

At June 16, 2006 1:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

agree! Left-over rice (that is a bit dry) is the best for fried rice. Looks nice :) Need to eat breakfast now!

 
At June 16, 2006 4:49 am, Blogger rokh said...

rice is nice! my staple diet. anyway, glad you like your new place, with some -- points except the beer, haha. i'm shifting too coincidently. hopefully i would then go to the pasar nearby it more often!

 
At June 17, 2006 1:38 am, Blogger shawnchin said...

julthefool: ... and better if kept in fridge.. then easy to separate the grains before frying :)

rokh: hope everything goes well with your new place.

 
At June 17, 2006 10:34 am, Blogger Fashionasia said...

whoaa?? u buy bears too??

 
At June 27, 2006 11:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shawn

You need any dinner guests or not ?

Wished my hubby can cook like U. Sigh sigh
Is weather cold now in Edinburg ?
I believe the guys are watching world cup now...

 
At July 06, 2006 4:43 am, Blogger jadepearl said...

Came across your link @ Pusiva's blog. Love you blog!!! Yup, left-over rice for fried rice is THE best!!! Hope you don't mind me linking your blog!!!

 
At July 06, 2006 3:15 pm, Blogger shawnchin said...

fashionasia: B>E>E>R!!!!! BEER!!! B.E.E.R!! Bee Eee Eee Arrr!! BEER!

emma: It's always nice to have dinner guests ;) U dropping by?? Weather here is, errr, well, typical of Scotland - Generally cold, always windy, sometimes rainy, with occasional sunshine.

Jadepearl: I'd be honoured. Thanks :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home